Monday, April 30, 2007

You are NOT supposed to see FLAMES inside your oven!

So tonight, we had Amanda over for supper. We were almost ready to eat: the salad was made, the pasta was done, the garlic toast was almost ready...."hmm", I thought, "maybe it could be in the oven just a BIT longer, it's not quite crispy enough". So I turned it onto broil, and continued to mix the sauce into the pasta. Not more than 5 minutes later, we heard BEEP BEEP BEEP, our smoke detector was blaring. I looked into the oven, and the garlic toast was ON FIRE!! Aaaaahhhhhh!!!! I have never seen FLAMES inside my oven, it was quite the scary site!! Calvin came running upstairs and to the rescue, while I ran downstairs to get the fire extinguisher. By the time I got back upstairs, he had already taken the firey garlic toast out of the oven and put it outside where the fire was put out and all that remained was black, charred pieces of garlic toast. YIKES, talk about a scare, my heart was racing a million miles a minute! But it could have been a lot worse, and "Note to self": Always keep an eye on the stove when garlic toast is in the oven, especially when on broil! After opening all windows and airing the smoke out, everything was back to normal.

7 comments:

Kandace said...

Ha! I did something similar to that. I wondered why my cheese dish smelled sooo much like garlic. There was a piece that had fallen down into the base of the oven. No flames though! Goodness!

Michelle said...

LOL!!!! That's funny!
One lesson I learnt a few years ago was to never put a stainless steel mug in the microwave. The rubber handle caught on fire once while I was trying to heat up some hot drink. *sigh* Lessons in the kitchen, eh?

David said...

And Michelle wonders why I want to do the cooking...

Michelle said...

Hey!

polarpegs said...

I remember having Alfie and Jason over for spaghetti dinner one night. When they showed up the sauce had just burned and the taste had goen through the whole thing. We greeted them and then promptly annouced we were ordering Chines Food.

Trail Rider said...

i've done that! one time i left brownies in the overn and left the house!!!! we went to the candle light service at church!

it was a miracle that our house was still standing and not set on fire

there was a small black brick in the dish after baking for 2 and ahlf hours!!! LOL

let me just say that dessert was not served!

Monika said...

Thanks everyone, for sharing your stories. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who almost set the house on fire :)