Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The past 3 weeks....

Well, it's been a few weeks since I've posted, so I thought it was time to finally get at it and post an update. I always check everyone else's blogs for updates yet I myself don't post as often. It's been a busy few weeks. It all started on June 1 when I went to M&M's with Rebecca and slipped outside on the parking lot, twisted my foot and fell. It started swelling up and got very painful to walk on, so I went for x-rays and sure enough, there was an avulsion fracture (at the base of the 5th metatarsal, to be specific) but it was minor enough to just require a tensor bandage, not a full cast. So I was hobbling around for the first week, by the second week could walk much better, and by now it feels almost normal except for when I move it the wrong way (or have Colleen step on it at church) ;-) The next day, Cavin's mom and dad came up here for 2 weeks from Calgary. So hurting my foot was good timing! They helped out with a lot of projects - reshingled our roof, worked some more on the garage, painted our living room window casings/frame, etc. It was a busy 2 weeks. They left on Friday. On Friday though, I had another mishap. I was feeling miserable as it was with a cold and a headache, when I went to put Sweetie down on the floor. As I was putting her down her feeding tube must have gotten stuck between my arm and my leg, and when I put her down her tube yanked right out of her belly! I felt HORRIBLE, she was crying, I was crying...I quickly called Peggy and she came to the rescue!! She got to our house faster than an ambulance and helped me put a temporary tube in place before I called the doctor's office. Her pediatrician was not in that day but there was a different ped on call who said I should bring Sweetie right in and he would see her. So off we went with Peggy to the hospital. Thanks, Peggy, for being there for us during our little crisis! Rebecca was supposed to have this PEG feeding tube in place till end of August, and then have it replaced down in Edmonton by the GI doctor who put it in last month. However, now that it accidentally came out, it was ok to go ahead and put in the Mic-Key button, which is much nicer to have than the long PEG tube. No long tube sticking out of Sweetie's belly that we have to worry about getting caught on something, or having to always tuck it into her pants. So in the end, it all worked out, but that was not how I had planned on getting out of having the long tube for another 2 months! That's all the news for now...

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Yikes! You had to remind me, didn't you. Oh, Monny you make me smile and feel happy and in return I tromp on your gimpy foot. What kind of a person would do that? With friends like me who needs big-footed clowns who run around stomping gimpy-footed girls with their big clown-stomping shoes? Anyhoo, health and wholeness to you and your trodden foot!

Lovingly,
C