Friday, December 08, 2006

Our front yard this morning....

This is what Calvin discovered in our front yard this morning. Some ptarmigans camaflouged in the snow. I had seen these footprints in our yard a few days earlier, and assumed it was some cat that had wandered through our yard. By the look of the trail these ptarmigans left behind, it looks like it was them and they were back for a visit.
On another note, the northern lights were amazing last night!!! I tried to take some pictures but did not suceed, I don't have the proper camera for that...
Edited to say: I added one picture that I tried to take last night of the Aurora Borealis....Dave & Michelle , I wish I had your camera for this... and a tripod, you need really long exposures to take pictures of the northern lights.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I loooove ptarmigans. And I love spelling "ptarmigan" and saying it too. But most of all I like seeing them. Once I thought a plastic bag was blowing across the road in front of me but it was a little ptarmigan trotting along.

(My word verification is mfeeee. I wish they were all that simple!)

Monika said...

Colleen,

Lucky you for getting such a simple word verification, LOL. Yes, I don't know why ptarmigan is spelled like that, why does the P have to be there, anyhow?

Moni
p.s. mine is ggdejn :)

Sarah said...

Oh my, how beautiful! But how COLD! lol

.. and mine is dkdngwwk. I think saying mfeeeee is way more fun than saying ptarmigan! lol

Michelle said...

Wow, I learnt a new word today. Dave's impressed with your Internet SKILLZ (You got Skills, Man!) in linking the word to Wikipedia.

Michelle said...

That is super cool! I love those nothern lights! I think the picture still turned out pretty good, considering that you're using an automatic camera. I'm guessing that the lights were even brighter viewing it live with your own set of eyes. I always like it when it dances around in the sky.

Laurie said...

I think your camera took a great picture. Better than anything I have taken and I have taken a few. I love the fact that it isn't just of the sky. I like having other things in the picture so it makes it seem more real.

Colleen said...

Just pbecause.

Trevor said...

Hey Monika,

Great pics. I was driving from PRince Albert to the job site on Wednseday and saw some of the best northern lights I've seen years. They were green and purple and move fast. We get them here every now and again, not like YK where you get them all the time.

Trev

(p.s. mine was zuwlxx)