Sunday, January 21, 2007

Rebecca's new friend Thumper

Rebecca has a new friend named Thumper, and it's not a rabbit! It's a handheld massager that we are borrowing from Rebecca's Occupational Therapist, who brought it over last week to see if it would help her sit in her Kimba Seat longer. It's been a real challenge getting Sweetie to sit in any kind of seat, she's been doing okay sitting in her chair in the morning shortly after waking up, but later in the afternoon or evening it doesn't go well at all. She starts to arch back and gets very uncomfortable, the only thing that usually helps is having me sit beside her and shake her arm, which relaxes her. We also know that she loves to have her legs moved like a bicycle and likes having her hips massaged, so her O.T thought of trying to use a handheld massager on her legs while sitting in her chair. So we tried it, and found that it works!! Here is a video clip of her sitting in her Kimba seat without the massager, and then immediately after placing the Thumper massager on her leg.



These next pictures were taken after she had been in her Kimba seat for awhile with the massager, when I picked her up she smiled! So I quickly sat her down on a different chair and took a couple pictures....it's so hard to get pictures of her smiling, especially ones where she is smiling but NOT in the bathtub! My precious Sweetie.



4 comments:

polarpegs said...

That is great Mon. WE all know how hard it is for you guys to relax when Sweetie has to be in the Chair. Here's hoping that the massager works for you for a long time and she doesn't ever tire of it.
She is just getting so big. Every time I see her I can hardly believe that we don;t get to see her every day anymore.

Michelle said...

It's great to see Becky smiling!!! What a difference the massager makes, too, eh? I know that always calms Dave down, too. LOL!(terrible back aches!) It also gives my hands a break!!!

Colleen said...

Oh that is SO awesome, Monie! Reading this actually gave a little thrill to my heart that is still within me as I type. How that must have warmed the cockles of your heart! This is such good news.

Kandace said...

That is fantastic! I loved the video clip. What a great break through for Becky. And yes, she is is a cutie with her ruddy red cheeks.